9/6/12

child of God

Deak Ter was packed with busy people swarming back and forth. I was sitting quietly on a bench browsing through a handbook. I felt him approaching and looked up. Some mumble jumble in Hungarian followed. He soon understood I didn’t get a word but at least he wanted to shake hands before leaving. And address me a few more words.
- Oh English! I can speak English. I am unemployed. My wife…she…is also unemployed. I want to give you this (a colorful magazine) but it is in Hungarian of course. God Bless You! You’re not a Christian? Never mind. You know, I was atheist. My father was a communist. Now I am born again. Physically I am 50 but spiritually I am 9 years old. I am a child. The child of God. God bless you ‘cause I believe in God. You have to feel God inwardly ‘cause God is a spirit. People want to meet him like…a man, but they can’t meet him. I can feel the Holy Spirit ‘cause it is here among us. If you want, you believe in it. If you want.
How many insane people you know? 
- You mean crazy?, I inquire. 
- Yees, how many?
- I don’t know any.
- There are demons, you know. Many demons. They look for bodies everywhere with their perverse ideas. They need bodies ‘cause they are spirits.
- I will be aware of that, I reply as politely as I can.
- God bless you. 
And then we shook hands again. Possibly for the seventh time. Two Arab guys standing nearby probably listening to our conversation burst out laughing as soon as he went away.